About Me

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Through the storm

Today is Dad's birthday.

The sun is shining, my head is filled with beautiful music, and I have a busy day ahead of me. Those are all good things.

It is a great relief to know that this isn't the first of Dad's birthdays on which I haven't been able to call him or give him a gift - because of all his travel over the years. What a deep sorrow it must be for the first birthday to come of someone you love deeply when you've always been in the same city, or on the same continent as them.

For this small blessing, I am very thankful! It helps me miss him just that tiny bit less.

But I do miss him.

The band Casting Crowns has a song called Praise You in This Storm. The chorus speaks so directly to where God was throughout the last year of my life - all the turmoil, the pain, the worry, the heartache, the burden. I knew at the time, and looking back I remain absolutely certain, that God was with me, that he never left my side, and that every tear I've shed is in His care. He holds my heart tenderly, loving me, and giving me all I need through every moment of my life.

So, happy birthday, Dad! Now you know no pain. Now you have no fear or worry. You live in complete joy. You are understood and known completely. You are in the presence of the God you loved and served, and all your questions are answered.

And, Dad, we'll keep praising God - even in the storm.

I will praise you in this storm,
and I will lift my hands for You are who You are, no matter where I am.
And every tear I've cried You hold in your hand.
You never left my side,
and though my heart is torn I will praise you in this storm.

1 comment:

EHam said...

Hello! My birthday is April 12 as well! And that Casting Crowns song has brought me great joy as well! Said a prayer for you tonight that God will continue to show you his love and Grace for you!