About Me

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cotton

It was snowing in Denver today - great clouds of cotton from the cottonwood trees. It had gathered in clumps on the ground, collecting like little snowballs and it made me smile to see these little blobs floating down around me.

I was heading home after a rewarding but tiring weekend, and the next week and a half facing me are not going to bring much rest, either. I have a feeling this isn't going to be a very relaxing summer, but I'm hoping it will be a fun one.

I need to remember what I saw this afternoon - the small clouds of cotton lazily making their way through the air, the beauty of the green leaves, the blue sky.

I need to remember how I felt - peaceful, somehow comforted.

As I face busy days and weeks, and as they pass by, I need to take moments to sit quietly, to watch the bees in my flower garden, to weed my vegetable beds, to read, to walk quietly through woods. I need to read and nap. I need to peel vegetables while sitting out on my deck in the early evening light. I need to drink a glass of wine in the backyard with friends. I need to face one day at a time and float through my summer like the cotton of the cottonwood trees.


No comments: