About Me

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Brunch

This morning I'm on my way to a potluck brunch with the ladies in our church. In light of that (church, that is), I'd better make a confession. I got too proud, too sure of myself and paid the price! I was going to make this (surprisingly!) delicious dish called Carrot Cashew Quiche. I know, it sounds weird. Give it a chance, will ya? You should try it at least once. It is easy, yummy, and a fun thing to take. Got it off the internet. Of course, you have to start with a pie crust, something which I think I can honestly say I'm pretty good at. So I decide to make my own crust instead of buy it, and I want to make a 9x13" pan instead of one pie pan. 

Off I go, midstream deciding not only to use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white, but running out of shortening so substituting butter for about 1/2 the fat. Ok, so I've already done 3 things I don't usually do - double the recipe, flour alteration, and fat alteration. I go my merry way, mixing the flour, cutting in the fat, sprinkling the water. All looks fine...sort of. 

Long story short - pie crust disaster. Won't hold together, so I add water and knead a little, making it tough. Then it tears when I roll it out. Then there's not even enough crust. Yuck! 

Today we'll have crustless quiche!!

In case you'd like to try this delicious recipe (not the disastrous crust part!), here it is. Make your own crust if you dare. Or buy it. 

1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 c peeled and sliced carrots
1 c cashews
about 1/2 tsp nutmeg
good sprinkling of paprika
dash cayenne
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
2 Tbsp honey
4 eggs
1 c half and half
1/2 c heavy cream
3/4 c shredded Cheddar
1 pie crust

Preheat the oven to 350'.

Melt butter in skillet (nonstick if you have one). Stir in carrots and cashews. Add nutmeg, paprika, cayenne, salt. Cook until carrots are tender and nuts are golden brown. Mix in the honey. 

While carrots are cooking, and in a separate bowl, beat eggs well. Mix in dairy, and cheese. 

Pour carrot mixture into the pie crust. Gently pour in egg mixture.

Bake about 40 minutes or until a knife tests clean. If the center is slightly undercooked when you remove it, this is all right. It will cook a little more after you remove it. Allow to cool and set for a few minutes before serving. Yummy!

1 comment:

Me said...

oh my, this was heavenly...yum. thanks for the recipe. and i must say that i had the strangest look on my face when you started talking about the crust because i thought i could have *sworn* that it didn't have a crust. i was vindicated at the end of your post, lol. (((hugs)))