About Me

Monday, September 24, 2012

Another post without pictures ... to the disappoinment of my sister and possibly others ;-)

My neighborhood is filled with apple trees that are heavy with ripening fruit. When I take morning walks, I pass yards that are littered with bruised fruit, fruit that the squirrels and birds have feasted on, perfect fruit that is lying there for the taking.

All this fruit lying on the ground was driving me crazy - so I started knocking on doors. "Do you have plans for your apples? If not, would you mind if I picked them and used them?"

I've gleaned the most wonderful harvest and am making the most of it! So far, I've made apple butter and applesauce, and am hoping to get some pears, too, from a tree I found. If only I had more time - I'd make even more delicious things - apple bbq sauce, apple pie filling, apple jelly, apple chutney. Oh, the flavors I could conjure!

The apple butter was rich and dark with spices, delicious and so wonderful on hot, buttered toast! And the applesauce! I didn't peel all the apples, and so my applesauce has a tint of red from the skins. It's just the prettiest color, and the flavor- a mix of sweet and sour apples from two different trees - is divine. I'm in heaven!

All these treasures that summer and fall bring - peaches, plums, apples, pears, pumpkins, carrots. It is a wonder to me - such a bounty of color, of flavor and textures.

I am so thankful for the seeds that we put in the ground, and with a little water and sunlight, they return to us as gifts for the taking.

Wonderful.

No comments: