About Me

Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall is here!

Two nights ago the wind whipped around the house and blew autumn into our neighborhood. The trees that had started turning are now going full blast and the color in the city is incredible. The cold has arrived, too, and I for one am happy for it to be here. It was a hot summer, and a long one, too! The evidence of last night's freeze lies on my blackened, frost-bitten pumpkin leaves, but the bright orange pumpkins are just fine.

This morning a good friend and I debated whether or not to venture into the higher country for a hike and some leaf gazing. We braved the 40' temps in the city and headed up the pass. Lo and behold, around 8500' we drove out of the clouds and into the most beautiful, blue-skied autumn day. The trees were still covered with their gold coins, and our 2 hour hike was more than pleasant - it was ideal. As Tim always says, "You never know what the weather is going to be like on the other side of the pass!"

So today I snuggle into my house, cleaning it up some for a little shindig on Saturday. A very good friend is finished with her radiation treatment and is free to eat anything she likes - and we're happy to oblige her! :) Cheese and crackers, homemade jams and bread, lunchmeat galore, gin and tonic cake. A feast to welcome her back to the world of yum. :-)

I've donned my sweats and a warm shirt, my wool clogs, and after lunch will do my best to get off the warm couch and onto my housework.

It's been a lovely day. For any of you who can't tell - I love fall! :-D

No comments: