About Me

Friday, November 10, 2017

Into the Wild

This morning I was reminded how much Matt loved the movie Into the Wild. It engendered many conversations between us about independence, adventure, responsibility, society, family. Matt spoke of having an adventure of his own, unfettered by convention or physical limitations. I told him he could do it, he could absolutely run off, disappear, explore the world on his own. But he followed obligation and (maybe) wisdom instead, finished his architecture degree, and got a good job. 

But how he longed to hit the road, to disappear for a time, to have an adventure that was totally his own. To see places none of us had seen, to explore with only his desire and curiosity guiding him. I imagine him returning home, full of stories, full of pride and satisfaction at the journey he took. I imagine how he'd tell us about all he saw, metering out his stories, drawing it out to the best effect, minimizing his struggles and highlighting each hilarious incident. 


I guess he's on that journey now, way ahead of me, exploring where I can't yet go. And he's blazing a trail. Don't you know it? He's making his own way in the light of the Son, free from anything holding him back and he's in those wilds of Alaska or the dessert of Arizona lying on a rock in the sun or kayaking down a river, free in a way he never was here on Earth. 

No comments: