About Me

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No, seriously

Our very good friend Vince had a heart attack yesterday. I am very relieved to say it looks like he is going to be just fine. He had angioplasty - so no open heart stuff needed.

What a shock! (The reaction in itself a cliche, but for a reason.) He's not that much older than we are. What a sobering evening and day it has been - first to get the news, to process what needed to be done, then as I drove to the hospital the thought of no longer having him in our own lives, praying as I drove, "God, please spare him. God, please spare him," thinking, of course, not only of us, but primarily of his wife and 3 young kids. Last, as the evening wore on and this morning, to think about what I need to change in my own life.

Is my heart healthy? I know I'm overweight, but am I heading for a heart attack in 10 years?

I don't want to live a reactionary life in which I only make significant changes because of scary and negative input. I want to live a wise, balanced life in which I choose to do the right thing not simply because I'm afraid of the consequences of continuing on the less healthy path.

Wow! A lot to think about. But my overwhelming thought today is thankfulness that Vince made it through the night and all looks good for the future. Yeah, God!

No comments: