About Me

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Satisfaction

She needed the address and phone number of her old landlord. Just having moved here from out of state, and trying to get assistance with her housing, this information was critical, but like so many who come into the downtown public library for help, she didn't have very much pertinent information that could assist me as I tried to help her.

She had his first name. She remembered the city she'd lived in. And I had the idea to search for a realtor near her old address - she had that on her license. Thank goodness she had that piece of information.

We searched a couple different ways ... then all of a sudden, in the list of realtors (narrowed down by proximity to her old address), there was a name she recognized.

"That's it!" she smiled and pointed to the computer screen.

Mission accomplished. First and last name, address, phone number - all located for this woman who was so in need.

What an amazing feeling - to be able to come to work and help people in such a real and tangible way. Yes, we at the library feel like we spend an awful lot of our time finding useless information, helping people with things that seem very insignificant (the MTV top 100 videos of 1985?).

But every once in a while, we get to help someone with something that actually makes a difference in their lives.

I'm thankful for this wonderful opportunity. I'm thankful that my body allows me to work these few hours a month. I'm thankful for my truly excellent co-workers who always welcome me with a smile and treat me just like a regular. I'm thankful for the smiles of the patrons who are thankful in return.

-----------------------

(There are silly times, too. Just now I walked over to a table of friends who were looking at a laptop, laughing, talking animatedly. "Ladies," I said with my most serious face on, "you're clearly having too much fun. I'm going to need you to turn that computer around so I can see what you're having so much fun doing." Our serious faces all broke into smiles and giggles.

"We're looking at dream houses!" they tittered, and proceeded to give me a virtual tour of one they were all oogling. There's silliness here, too, if you let it in. Shh - don't let that secret out.)

----------------------

A series of obscure books he didn't think we had available. A favorite movie from childhood. A map of train routes to Oregon. Information about a new medical diagnosis. A safe driving route across the Rockies in the middle of winter and the forecast of approaching storms. An old landlord's name and phone number so she can get help with housing here in our fair city.

How many jobs give you the chance to smile at so many people in one day, and sometimes, just every once in a while, make a real difference in someone's life?

No comments: