About Me

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Some things are just so simple

For someone who likes to cook as much as I do, I must confess that I do not like cooking in the summer. My kitchen has very little air flow, and so using even one burner heats up the room beyond what seems reasonable. And we have a gas grill, but I just am not in the habit of using it, or even remembering to use it. Maybe I should hang a sign over my stove: Go Use the Grill!

For Christmas my lovely sister gave me subscriptions to 2 magazines, one of which is Everyday Foods, a Martha Stewart publication. (No matter what you think about this crazy lady, I think she is amazing. She remains the head of a giant empire that, after years and years, continues to put out good products. I think that's rather remarkable.)

Back to the story...

So Sis' gave me this magazine for Christmas, and I've used it a little, but not tons and tons. Around rolled summer and I began to turn to it more and more as I wanted to be in my kitchen less and less. And this week - a revelation. Two revelations. Actually, three. ;-)

Revelation One: If I have groceries in the house and plans for simple meals, getting dinner ready doesn't take much time (or require much sweating). Is that a revelation? Shouldn't be at 41, but sometimes I forget the basics. We've been low on groceries and food plans since...about last June. Go figure...

Revelation Two: A simple and delicious salad. Try this one - it really is quite yummy and, seriously, took about 10 minutes to put together. I myself am not a lover of canned tuna, but never the less enjoyed this. (Try it with leftover chicken, fish, or steak. Yum!)

Cucumber and Celery Salad with Tuna (serves 2 - easy to double)


  • 1 tsp poppy or sesame seeds

  • 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar (would probably be just as delicious with cider or any other kind of vinegar)

  • 1/2 Tbsp sugar

  • 1 Tbsp olive oil

  • about 3 c. cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4" half-moons

  • 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4" pieces (include inner leaves)

  • about 1/2 c sliced or chopped radishes (optional, but I challenge you to try it!)

  • 1 (5 oz.) can solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked

  • coarse salt and pepper

In a medium bowl, stir together seeds, vinegar, sugar and oil. Add cucumber, celery, radishes, and tuna. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Yum!

Revelation Three: In the freezer section of your grocery store, I bet you can find resealable bags of little dinner rolls (uncooked). Know what you can do with these little babies? (You probably already know this...) You can make individual size pizzas! Another easy, quick, and low-heat treat from your kitchen this summer. Roll these babies out, put them on a cookie sheet lightly sprinkled with cornmeal, preheat the oven to 500' (or use the grill?), and top them with whatever you want. Tonight I sprinkled my dough with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then minced garlic, shredded mozzarella, chifonnaded basil, thinly sliced roma tomatoes, and last - thin slices of fresh mozzarella. 500' for 10 minutes and ... voila! Delicious!

I guess these things won't revolutionize my life, but they made me smile! :-)

No comments: