About Me

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Blessed day

The first snow of fall is coming down, filling the sky, but not sticking to the ground yet. The flakes are big and fat, like nature's sparkles in the air, and I have a quiet day at home to snuggle in and enjoy the quiet that winter brings. My windows are closed for the first time in months, and so I can't hear the traffic. There are no neighbors mowing. There are no dogs outside barking. The neighborhood has the hush of a winter's night - and it is only October.

Today I was going to go with a good friend into the mountains to see the beautiful fall leaves, but the mountains are expecting 3-6 inches of snow, and I didn't feel like braving the roads. Instead I made waffles for my neighbors and me. :-) It was lovely - them in their pajamas, sleepy-eyed, and me deeply gratified that they feel comfortable enough to slouch on over and eat breakfast on a Saturday morning. Not a small blessing - but one that fills me in the deep places of my heart.

And now my day is empty with nothing I have to do. Sure, I could do laundry (and still might), but I might also just sit and read, or write, or nap. I might take a walk in the cold. I might pick some lettuce in the snow and have a crispy, cold salad with my grilled cheese. I might call a friend. I might write a letter.

I might sit and stare out the window at the golden leaves, the trees that are still fully green, and the white flakes that are falling.

No comments: