About Me

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Faith and friendship

She carefully peels and dices the eggplant, then places it all into the colander, gently tossing it with a generous amount of salt. "Just let it sit for a while," she says, "and the salt will draw out that bitter liquid."

Is this what faith does for us? Helping to draw out of us the bitter, the bile that can build up in our very flesh, causing our hearts to turn to stone?

This seems to be true of friendship, too.

In fact, faith and friendship seem to share several qualities...

...both require action on the part of all parties involved

...both add fullness and joy, peace to life

...neither is totally under our own control

...they can both be as comforting as they are challenging - sometimes easing life; sometimes asking for tough choices, and requiring the examination of anything but easy answers

One of my oldest and dearest friends visited me this past weekend. We talked and talked. We cried a little. We hiked. We laughed and ate. We shared as much as we could in 3 days time.

How is it that we are so close, but only lived in the same town for about a year, and that at the very beginning of our friendship. How has this thing grown and matured over a decade and more?

Work.

Faithfulness.

A gift from God.

I miss her already. She helped draw out some of my bitterness and I feel better than I did before her visit.

She helps my faith grow.

She points me to God.

She loves me, and I love her.

Miss you, friend...

1 comment:

copperrose said...

Beautifully written. You are such an example to me of what it does mean to be a good friend, something that I need to grow in continually.