About Me

Monday, September 26, 2011

Change of plans

There is a tiny town in Colorado called Twin Lakes. As its name implies, it lies next to a pair of connected lakes which, I just found out, were originally formed by the morainal damming of Lake Creek by a Pleistocene glacier. The lakes are part of a rather stunning view that includes Mt. Elbert (the highest peak in Colorado). In the fall, this area's aspens are amazing as they turn to gold. Stunning, really. The mountainside looks like a patch-work quilt of yellow and green, and a hike along the southern edge of the lake takes one through a wonderland of beauty, twinkling golden yellow leaves, sparkling blue sky and water. Truly lovely. A sight to see.

For several years I have wanted to go on a fall camping trip to Twin Lakes. Last year was to be the year. Clearly that didn't happen, so that was one of my goals for this year: to camp at Twin Lakes while the leaves were at their peak.

It didn't happen. Long story that I won't bother telling here.

But something wonderful happened instead. Something that felt miraculous, like a gift just for me. My birthday just keeps going on and on! :-)

Friday night Tim said, "Let's use your new fire pit and have a little cookout with Brian and Sarah (our new, wonderful neighbors). So off we went to the store to get our supplies - hot dogs, burgers, stuff for coleslaw, etc. A great evening - friends, fire, yummy food!

And Saturday? Oh, Saturday!

I got to spend the whole day - morning to night - with a wonderful, incredibly busy friend whose life right now is kind of hard and full of challenges. We drove one of my favorite mountain roads (especially in the fall), saw the beginning of the changing leaves, took a wonderful hike in my favorite (so far) state park, made our leisurely way home, cooked dinner together, watched a movie. A day jam-packed with girl time, friend time. We talked of spiritual matters, problem-solved, laughed, told stories, sat in the sun at a beautiful lookout, and just enjoyed one another. It was a miraculous day.

I must say, I am sad not to have slept under the stars, awakened to the chilly, mountain air, taken that hike I love along the lake.

But honesty, Tim and I were worn out by last weekend. It was wonderful to not have to pack up, drive a couple hours, all that stuff. And the day with my friend? Wonderful. Just wonderful.

No comments: