About Me

Friday, March 27, 2009

Same old...

So good to see that nothing changes! I subbed at the library today and got to catch up with some great former co-workers. It was fun to hear the gossip, the complaints, the crazy patron stories. Truly, not much has changed around here. There are some new faces, and the same old patrons, too. All is good and well in the old building. I even got a second to catch up with the director of the library as she walked by. I must say, I think she is a lovely lady! She has always been personable, interested, sincere. I enjoyed talking with her even for just a minute. I was also encouraged to hear of some great things she's doing that I know will greatly improve morale here in the library. It warmed my heart to hear that she is continuing to follow-up on some of the ideas she had while I was still working here.

Today, however, I am also reminded of a couple reasons I don't miss working, even part time. I had a bad migraine today. Luckily it diminished just in time for me to go in to work. I didn't think it would be very good for a sub to have to call and cancel...especially last minute. It felt pretty bad, though, being at work and my head still hurting, even if not throbbing. I remembered how often I had to do that and it drove me crazy! So there's one great thing - (virtually) never having to go into work sick or hurting.

I also was reminded of some of the ding dong patrons who frequent the library - needy, complaining, whining people. I don't mind the crazy or homeless ones, or the ones who need stuff and just can't seem to find it. (And I do LOVE talking with patrons about books!) But the customers who can't read signs, can't seem to manage the simplest of tasks and just aren't trying - they try me!

I was also reminded of the yucky gossip, the "worker bee" attitude (this is my job, that is your job - don't cross pollinate!), the poor decisions from some of management that haunt the hourly workers. Those things I most certainly don't miss. It was frustrating working in a big organization where I saw so many things that if improved would make life better for all. Simple things that wouldn't take much money or effort. Things that would make almost everyone happier. Not much changes, though, in a big organization, and that was very hard to take.

So I'm happy to go home and lay my head back on my pillow. Happy to not have to return tomorrow knowing I'll feel wiped out from having hurt all day. Happy to have caught up with some lovely people and helped a few patrons along the way. Happy to have made a few bucks. All in all - happy!

Once again, I count my life as blessed and...happy! :)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm glad you're able to stay in the mix. And I'm glad you're right where you want to be (that is, not a regular employee).