About Me

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Springtime

When we lived in Missouri, I loved to see spring roll around. It meant I could get in my garden and work with my lovely flowers! Spring meant color and green everywhere I looked. Our winters were usually not quite cold enough for me, but very gray, so spring's bright colors were wonderful to see! We lived in a neighborhood with lots of dogwood and redbud trees, and it ended up looking like a fairyland for about a month! (I didn't have a digital camera at the time, but I found this one on the internet!)

These trees both have branches that spread out horizontally as much as vertically, so the result is that the blooming trees look much more magical than most blooming trees - the spread is unusual. The flowers look like they're just floating in the air. The beautiful colors, too! The redbuds range from white to almost maroon, and the dogwoods go from cream to light pink. So gorgeous!

Thinking about this makes me want to jump in my car and head to the midwest! Too bad I'm broke! :-D That trip will have to wait. 

I must confess, however, that I'm not ready for spring this year. The winter has been far too warm, with not nearly enough snow for my tastes. I'm trying to resign myself to it, and think about the things I do like - my garden will pop with flowers again (if the dry winter didn't kill too many of them), I can hit my yard projects and make more progress (lawn, path, veg garden), and spring and summer mean I can hike just about as much as I want. Those are all good things! I can certainly get excited about them. 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so looking forward to experiencing spring in the midwest! I'm sure it's quite different from Colorado's version.