About Me

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My anchor

Has it just been 5 days since I last wrote? Good grief - seems like a couple weeks, at least.

Boy howdy, am I having a tough summer! You wouldn't know it from my tomatoes, though. They are growing like gang-busters and look terrific. Is that the silver lining? ;-D

So, my already difficult summer has had one more thing added to it: I was just tentatively diagnosed with diverticulitis. As if I didn't already have enough going on. I must confess I'm quite discouraged to have one more thing wrong with me physically. I guess I'm just not one of those robust, healthy people who can do whatever they want. Bummer.

Sometimes I feel so discouraged by that. I would like to be able to do whatever the heck I want, whenever I want. And I am able to do a lot. More than so many people. I know that. But, good grief - migraines, bad knees since teen years, plantar fasciitis that won't go away, and now diverticulitis? Whew! I'm worn out just thinking about all of it.

But I need to remember to keep my focus on CHRIST!

Here's how I see it: I can either choose to trust God or not. Black and white issue for me. I know some of you have heard me say that before.

Psalms 139:13-16 says...

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

So it's like Shakespeare wrote in Henry V: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

Once again, I'll choose to trust God. I will cling to Him and trust Him with all my hurts, disappointments, and sorrows. For it was He who made me, who loves me most, who gives me strength to smile and live through my days, both good and bad. It is God who has ordained a plan for my life, who carries me in the cup of His hand, and who won't ever let me go.

This God - I'll trust. With each day, with each pain, with each sorrow - knowing He'll never let me go. And knowing that, I can live my most authentic life - because I am fully known by Him. I have nothing to hide, nothing to fear, no need to pretend.

In the midst of my discouragement and frustration, my sadness and grief, I have something to turn to that gives me real peace and brings light into my darkened room. It doesn't take away my sadness, but helps me carry it. It doesn't remove my discouragement, but gives me a new perspective on it.

In the midst of this tough life we live, God's love is the anchor that centers my life and holds me close to sheltering shoals.


picture courtesy of flickr.com

1 comment:

Coni Immanuel said...

Dear Cindy,
Greetings from Chennai, South India.

It is 00:45 AM, July 15th, India time, In these couple of weeks, I have been coming back and fort to the CaringBridge website, reading about all those comments written in the Website.

Terima kasih untuk mengingatkan kita semua untuk tetap percaya kepada Tuhan, terima kasih untuk Mazmur 139.

Saya merasa dekat kepadamu, meski saya tak pernah berjumpa dengan ayahmu dan keluargamu, tapi saya merasa dekat.

Salam sayang dari kami di Chennai.