About Me

Monday, July 5, 2010

Retreat

We drove down to southern Colorado this weekend to camp at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument with a group of friends and some family. Boy howdy, what a wonderful trip! The drive south then west was beautiful through some lovely mountains - great views of the Spanish Peaks, Blanca and Lindsey Mountains. Tim and I chatted, laughed and listened to music.

These amazing sand dunes are at the northeastern edge of the San Luis Valley - a true dessert (less than 8" rainfall/year), yet one of Colorado's most fertile farming regions thanks to artesian wells under the valley floor. The dune field covers about 30 sq. miles, 8 miles across at its widest point. Nestled at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo mountains, the dunes took me by surprise as we came out of the town of Blanca and turned into the national park.


We camped at a group site for 2 nights and enjoyed lots of good food, and even better company. Although physically tiring, it was a wonderful trip. It felt so good to be away from home, away from memories, away from the phone. I felt so emotionally safe with some of the people I love most in my life, and by whom I feel most loved. It was a wonderful refreshment to my spirit to not be thinking about Dad all the time. Ah, distraction!

We arrived just in time for dinner on Friday night, so we just settled in and enjoyed the evening. I'd brought a simple Indonesian meal to share with my sister and her family. Delicious! :-) That night I turned in early while almost everyone else went to a Park Ranger astronomy program. Just as I was falling asleep, it started to rain. Oh, bliss! The sound of the rain on my tent, the cool air coming in, snuggling in my sleeping bag. Although I didn't sleep well at all, it was a refreshing night of rain and cool air.

We awoke the next morning to clouds and more cool temperatures which I welcomed, knowing that this part of Colorado can be blistering hot. But even the next day, which welcomed us with clear blue skies, the temperatures weren't too bad until mid-afternoon.


Soon after breakfast on our first morning, we headed to the dunes, about 1 1/2 miles from our campsite which was up on the eastern hills. We walked across the fairly firm sand to the dunes - east to west. Climbing those dunes was HARD! I only made it up to the first line of humps. Just couldn't go any further. I suppose if I'd started earlier in the day, taken more time I could have gone further, but that was enough. :-)


I slept much better Saturday night, and woke up feeling more rested. Sunday we hiked, played in the Medona stream that ebbs and flows throughout the day, and contemplated heading home, which we did late afternoon.

Campfires, hot dogs, hikes, baby-wipe showers, sandy feet, hot sun, lots of water, lots of laughing. What else could one ask for on a camping vacation?


This last picture is the view of the dunes from our campsite. All these pics are courtesy of Tim.

We meandered home Sunday night to a terrific rainstorm - dirty, tired and ready for bed. I took a quick shower, journaled a little, then settled into bed. Home, sweet home.

Want more info about these dunes? Check out these sites...
http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame/field/rocky_mt/zapata.htm
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/faqs.htm

1 comment:

Em said...

I'm glad you had a nice trip. It sounds lovely. It was quite teh rain storm last night here too.

Welcome home, friend! Miss you!

~Em~