About Me

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The holidays begin

We're slogging through the holidays over here. Thanksgiving with my family was accomplished yesterday with some pains. That's about the best I can say about it.

I'm leaving Friday for a week long personal retreat. I can't wait for these days alone in the mountains. I have some tough work to do on my insides, though, so it won't be all fun and games. I really need to process through some of my toughest issues - forgiveness, grief, resentment. I hope to do lots of reading, journaling, crying, praying. I hope to have hours and hours of quiet. And I'm thinking of taking my sewing machine and spending some hours making something pretty.

Today will be a quiet day. Tomorrow Thanksgiving with Tim's parents. Friday I leave.

And then December I'll try to control the whirlwind of holiday activities - practice saying "no" even though I'm not very good at it.

The best news? I've received the all-clear from my surgeon, a gyn and my primary physician. I'm good to go, with just a little bit of healing left to do. I'm getting my energy back, and that feels tremendous. So thankful to have come through all this with only one scar - granted, an 8" scar.

At the table yesterday some of said in quite voices what we were thankful for. Tim said, "I'm thankful for my wife who makes each day better than it would have been without her."

I said, "I'm thankful I don't have cancer."

Tough days ahead as I continue mourning Dad and work on some boundaries in my life that have needed some attention for quite some time. But I will work through it. And come through to a better place, a better me.

2 comments:

Em said...

Love you, my friend! I hope you have a lovely time away. Miss you!

sarahruthie said...

i love how much tim loves you.
it's awesome, because i know how awesome you are, and he and i share that in common.
granted, he probably knows even more how awesome you are, but it's just so great to see someone else seeing what i see.