About Me

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Still life

I didn't bring my camera with me ... too bad.

Because the wooden basket on the dining table is now filled with the most beautiful apples, mangoes, lemons and clementines.

Pretty to look at and deeply satisfying to my heart. Could it be because of Dad's love for fresh fruits and veg? That's probably it ...

I'm on a week-long personal retreat in the beautiful Colorado mountains. I've never done this before, but it is something I really need. I'm here to journal and think, pray, reflect, read, and have a little quiet time for my soul. Do some grieving for Dad - crying, remembering, writing, grieving about not being a mom - more crying and writing, work on some personal issues, and rest. Spend time with God. That actually is not only primary but essential.

This is something I really need, and am so looking forward to.

My groceries are bought, my books and journals are laid out, my iPod is ready to go. I have some of my favorite movies, a nice bottle of wine for the evenings, and my comfiest slippers and pjs.

What more could I need?

Will I get lonely? Maybe, but I doubt it. I do already miss Egg - thought about bringing him. So lonely in the bed without his fuzzy little body. But sunshine and God are here with me, and all the love and prayers of my friends and family who said to me, "Go! Do this for yourself!"

Still life on my table, still life in my heart in a week of quiet and reflection.

1 comment:

sarahruthie said...

cindy, i'm so glad you are doing this. just reading how you're already describing it brings joy to my heart. i love your sweet appreciation for little lovelies. you find joys in something beautiful, like a bowl of colorful fruit. this rings true in my own heart, and makes me super pumped for your time.
i'm asking our Father to love you incredibly in this week.

p.s. i asked ben if we could put on our invitations "please dress in vibrant summer colors."
(like how people say "black tie event")

SO EXCITED! simply because bright colors bring so much joy to my life!