About Me

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Father's day

Remember, remember?

Mom clipping coupons on Sunday evenings while we all watched football in the basement?

Dad teaching us, play by play, this game we didn't understand?

Every Saturday, those Air Force Academy games - in the cold and snow?

The football talk every fall - is this the year they'd go all the way? My optimism, his skepticism.

And last year's Superbowl, the whole gang having our own little party at Dad and Janice's house - but Dad sick in bed all day long, me going up and down the stairs, "Is he feeling any better yet?"

Remember all those fun Sundays watching football together? Remember, remember?

And today, once again, it's Superbowl Sunday. To me it kind of feels like Father's Day - I'm missing him so much. He loved football, and I've successfully avoided watching it all season. It just made me sad. So today I feel all jumbled up. Football is everywhere, meaning there's reminders of Dad everywhere, and today will be another weird day of grieving and having fun at the same time. Probably exactly what Dad would want - for me to be able to look my sadness in the eye in a healthy way, and not dwell on it, to enjoy a fun day with friends.

But until the fun begins, all I feel like saying is, "I miss you, Dad!"

No comments: