About Me

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What if...

Last Saturday I was watching a marathon of "Sex and the City" (gasps heard all around the world that Cindy was watching such a scandalous show!). Come on - I couldn't resist! They were doing a marathon of all the Mr. Big episodes...which of course, are the best. And it's cleaned up for cable - much less sex in the non-HBO city. :-)

Ok, refocus...

One of the characters said to her best friends...

"What if I had never met you?"

I stopped to think about that.

My goodness, how many amazing people, friends, co-workers I would never have known. I could write about people whose descriptions would fill this blog for a year.

"What if I had never met you?"

I could sit here and make a tremendous list of names, but I'd get the order wrong, I'd leave someone important off the list, I'd hurt someone's feelings.

But amazing fun times, heart-wrenching hours, trips, jaunts, quiet afternoons together, hours spent on my deck, in my yard, in the car, on the phone, at one another's houses - they are all flooding my mind, filling me with thoughts of love, warmth, and an amazing sense of gratitude for the people who have walked my life's journey with me.

I, unfortunately, tend to fall into the out of sight, out of mind category of friends. I think this comes from having moved so many times in my life. I quickly figured out that in order for me to emotionally survive and thrive, I needed to dig in, make friends where I lived. Again, unfortunately, this tends to leave a trail of friendships that have dwindled and faded as I've become involved in my new city, my new life - I just can't keep up with everyone. I wish I could. I wish I was made up that way. I've tried to change, but have failed again and again. So this is who I am.

But the friends I've left behind aren't forgotten. They are in my heart. Their significance in my heart isn't diminished.

"What if I had never met you?"

There are so many times I'd have felt all alone.
I'd have had to walk those tough days without your support.
I'd have missed out on the love you lavished on me.
I wouldn't have learned nearly as much.
I wouldn't have laughed nearly as often.

"What if I had never met you?"

I wouldn't be who I am today.

2 comments:

Em said...

I love that show too. :)

And I'm glad I met you.

Me said...

"What if I had never met you?" Don't want to even think about it!!!