About Me

Monday, June 28, 2010

All done, just begun

The obligations are fulfilled, the services finished, the hours of public mourning are over. Now we begin the real process of grieving, the days of sadness, the thousands of moments when we think to ask Dad, tell Dad, talk to Dad before our brains finally remember he's gone.

When Mom died, I thought I would die from my pain. For months and months I cried a seemingly endless flow of tears that I thought would tear apart my insides. I thought I might go crazy from the constant wringing out of my heart. But I didn't die. In fact, I actually healed. My daily thoughts missed her a little less each month, I found I could think of her without crying, and even though that hole will never be filled by anyone else, God has filled my life with the lessons of his love and comfort.


I go into this process of saying goodbye to Dad with the assurance of God's healing, the assurance that this pain is temporary. This time, I know those things are true - I know that real healing is possible, and that it just takes time. I know that I won't die, and that this terrible pain will pass with time.

That, I think, will make all the difference.

3 comments:

Em said...

Praying for you as you travel on this journey of healing. Love you!

I'm so sorry I could not be there for you yesterday, but you were definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, dear one. Your words today so painfully perfect/accurate.
much love,
Darla

Anonymous said...

Hi my friend

I so appreciate hearing your honest thoughts and feelings. I love your positive statement of faith....God will truly heal you in time. I so wish I were there with you but I do trust God to allow us to meet again in future. I love you...love you. And I am praying for you. Thobe