About Me

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I can't seem to sleep past 6:00 a.m. I wake up with too much on my mind and can't fall back into bliss. I'm getting more tired each day, and wonder how hard I can push my body as I sit by my dad's bed, waiting to get him a fresh glass of water or help him change positions. My mind races toward all the decisions that will need to be made, but then I pull on the reigns - not yet, not yet.

One day at a time. Isn't that what AA teaches?

One day at a time to hear the birds chirping outside my window. One day at a time to read the Psalms and feel God's blessings falling on me like soft rain. One day at a time to talk with Dad, laugh with him, tell him stories. One day at a time to come home and collapse into Tim's love.

Today's another day. We'll probably get pathology reports on biopsies today. We'll probably know just a little more. Good and bad.

I take a deep breath and heat water for tea. I count my underwear - I don't have to do laundry yet. I decide on my clothes - comfortable for sitting all day. I choose a new book to take to the hospital. I make sure I have my pen and journal. Then I kiss Tim and head out the door. Another day.

No comments: