About Me

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tender mercies

Thank God for small mercies!

I went to visit Janice today, dreading walking down that hallway I paced for 7 days while Dad was there.

Would she be in the room at the end of the hall I disappeared into to make phone calls? Would it be the room where the friendly man laid? Would it be the room that had the most inviting sunlight in the early afternoons? Would it be at the end of the hallway where I felt God's presence in a way I never have before (my "butter-dipped roll" story that only a few of you know)?

I almost lost it in the elevator, fidgeting, trying to not lose it.

We walked out of the elevator and checked the sign for her room number. Wonder of wonders! She is on a different wing!

I didn't even have to walk down the same hallway! My heart leapt! My tears disappeared, and I felt a wave of relief that almost knocked me over.

God is good all the time - I assert that, believe that, cling to that. But sometimes that goodness takes me by surprise in how committed He is to kindness and loving care. Yes, He would have enabled me to do what I needed to...but He is gracious and made my job just that much easier.

I love Him. I am thankful. I am encouraged.

No comments: