About Me

Friday, August 21, 2009

Night Falls


Some days end with stress and lists of unfinished tasks. Some days end with children's books and goodnight kisses. Some days end with laughter, candlelight, and the company of friends. Some days end in quiet, dessert cooked just for two, and a good book to end by. 

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote this of the end of day:

The day is done, and the darkness
falls from the wings of night
as a feather is wafted downward
from an eagle in his flight. 

He wrote on of poetry, written not by the great ones, but a simple poem written from the heart, to calm the mind at the end of a day. What a lovely thought.

I didn't actually see the sunset tonight, but I did observe the light change to its most golden as the sun fell toward the horizon. I did see the shadows of the trees lengthen and the darkness creep closer. I did think, "The day is done." 

So tonight, I go to bed happy, content in a quiet day spent reading, talking with friends, and relaxing in my sunny house. Four more things for which I am very grateful - quiet days, good books, good friends, and a house I like. 

Goodnight, all!


No comments: