About Me

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Follow your bliss

I love the sparkle and joy of my Christmas decorations.

During the Christmas season I take down my usual decorations, box them up and fill the house with my Christmas stuff. I love it! There's something wonderful about all these little touches - the bows, the ribbon and glittering glass, the icons of the season.

Today, the last day of the year, the sun is shining brightly, and the still snow-covered ground is reflecting it in sparkles and glitter.

The last day of the year. Another one lived in safety and relative health. Another year passed in joy and struggle, peace and pain.

What will the new year hold? How will I choose to fill my time? (My constant question and struggle.) What of value will I invest myself in? What joys and accomplishments will follow me through the next twelve months?

It is so remarkable to me the choices with which we are presented in our modern lives. Instead of having to dedicate my time to washing clothes and hanging them on the line, scalding and plucking the chicken, I have hours and hours of leisure time a week.

Not only that, but I'm presented with the choice of how I will view my life, what attitude I will take. I can either look at this coming year with trepidation and worry: so many years have passed without me accomplishing this or that goal. I hope this isn't another year like that.

or

optimism and realism: a new year, a clean slate! Knowing myself as I do, how can I set myself up to succeed?

I think this year I'll take the second view.

But above all, this year I think I'll try to keep it simple, focus on small goals, take one step at a time.

Just my thoughts on a sunny morning...

1 comment:

tara said...

so encouraging!